Eligibility for MARGE
On April 15, 2015 at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of MARGE, the membership carried a proposed constitution revision which changes the eligibility to join MARGE. This revision now enables a larger portion of government, municipal and MGEU retirees for MARGE eligibility. This in turn also enables them to apply for our Health and Dental and Travel/Trip Cancellation plans; Home/Tenants Insurance plans; as well as our new Pets + Us, Pet Insurance programs. 4. MEMBERSHIP (from MARGE Constitution, revised at AGM April, 2015).
a. Membership in "MARGE" is open to all persons who will be receiving a pension from any of the following at the time of retirement:
- the Manitoba Civil Service Superannuation Fund
- the Legislative Assembly Pension Plan
- persons receiving a spousal pension from any plan noted herein
- individuals who receive a deferred pension from any plan noted herein
- Manitoba Government and General Employees' Union Retired Staff covered by the Civil Service Superannuation Fund.
- Any Municipal employee who at the time of retirement, belonged to a pension plan, that was contributed to by their employer, during the time of their employment.
- Any Employee, who at the time of retirement, worked for the Civil Service or an Agency, Board, Crown Corporation, Commission, or the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Manitoba.
- Any employee whose position was unionized under the MGEU and was directly or indirectly funded by government and now has an employer/employee funded pension plan or RRSP Plan.
- MTS Employees if they were civil servants and worked for MTS prior to Jan 1,1997. You will need a letter from HR indicating your start date and retirement date. If you started after Jan 1,1997 you do NOT qualify.
- NOTE: Employees of any Regional Health Authority are considered an employee of an Agency of the Government as they are totally funded by the Government and may join MARGE.
- Employees working for any school division including teachers CAN NOT join MARGE
A person is considered a member of "MARGE"; when they have paid their annual membership fee, as set out in By-Law 1.11 of this Association, and, have satisfied the above mentioned criteria for membership. Section completely amended April 15,2015.