Eligibility for MARGE
On April 15, 2015 at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of MARGE, the membership carried a proposed constitution revision which changes the eligibility to join MARGE. This revision now enables a larger portion of government, municipal and MGEU retirees for MARGE eligibility. This in turn also enables them to apply for our new Health and Dental and Travel/Trip Cancellation plans; Home/Tenants Insurance plans; as well as our new Pets + Us, Pet Insurance programs. 4. MEMBERSHIP (from MARGE Constitution, revised at AGM April, 2015).
a. Membership in "MARGE" is open to all persons who will be receiving a pension from any of the following at the time of retirement:
- the Manitoba Civil Service Superannuation Fund
- the Legislative Assembly Pension Plan
- persons receiving a spousal pension from any plan noted herein
- individuals who receive a deferred pension from any plan noted herein
- Manitoba Government and General Employees' Union Retired Staff covered by the Civil Service Superannuation Fund.
- Any Municipal employee who at the time of retirement, belonged to a pension plan, that was contributed to by their employer, during the time of their employment.
- Any Employee, who at the time of retirement, worked for the Civil Service or an Agency, Board, Crown Corporation, Commission, or the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Manitoba.
- Any employee whose position was unionized under the MGEU and was directly or indirectly funded by government and now has an employer/employee funded pension plan or RRSP Plan.
- MTS Employees if they were civil servants and worked for MTS prior to Jan 1,1997. You will need a letter from HR indicating your start date and retirement date. If you started after Jan 1,1997 you do NOT qualify.
- NOTE: Employees of any Regional Health Authority are considered an employee of an Agency of the Government as they are totally funded by the Government and may join MARGE.
- Employees working for any school division including teachers CAN NOT join MARGE
A person is considered a member of "MARGE"; when they have paid their annual membership fee, as set out in By-Law 1.11 of this Association, and, have satisfied the above mentioned criteria for membership. Section completely amended April 15, 2015
The following list is from the CSSB (Civil Service Superannuation Board) website:
Participating Employers: Any Employee of those listed below may become a member of MARGE. If a Board Member, you are not eligible to join MARGE.
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
Assiniboine Community College
Child and Family All Nations Coordinated Response Network Inc.
Civil Service Superannuation Board
Communities Economic Development Fund
Council on Post-Secondary Education
Crown Corporations Council
Dairy Farmers of Manitoba Board Employees, NOT members of the Board.
Economic Innovation & Technology Council
Food Development Centre
Horizon Lab Ltd
Industrial Technology Centre
Members and Employees of the Legislative Assembly
Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation
Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation – Crop Inspectors
Manitoba Arts Council
Manitoba Centennial Centre Corporation
Manitoba Chicken Producers
Manitoba Diagnostic Services
Manitoba Film & Sound
Manitoba Gaming Control Commission
Manitoba Government & General Employees’ Union
Manitoba Health Research Council
Manitoba Horse Racing Commission
Manitoba Housing Authority
Manitoba Hydro Utilities Services
Manitoba Liquor, Gaming & Cannabis Authority
Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation
Manitoba Pork Council
Manitoba Turkey Producers
Province of Manitoba - Civil Service
Red River College
All Regional Health Authorities
Sport Manitoba In.
Tabor Home Inc., Morden, MB.
- Teranet Manitoba LP (must have worked for the civil service prior to the purchase of the Land Titles Agency)
- The Legal Aid Services Society
University College of the North